Spring is here!
We highly recommend some spring home maintenance to ensure your home is in tip top shape after winter.
The following list is McClelland’s spring check-list for homeowners.
OUTSIDE YOUR HOME
• Clean out and repair eaves troughs and downspouts.
• Ensure downspouts extend from your home by at least six feet or set up a rain barrel to catch water runoff.
• Repair driveways, walkways, patio deterioration and seal cracks.
• Paint or stain exterior trim, fences and decks as needed.
• Repair damage on the outside of your home, including cracks.
• Find and seal any foundation, crawlspace, or basement crack, seepage or leaks.
• Wash and repair holes in window and door screens.
• Ensure the soil around your home slopes away from the foundation.
INSIDE YOUR HOME
• Inspect the attic for signs of roof leaks.
• Inspect the washing machine, fridge and dishwasher hoses and clean the filters.
• Check the basement walls for any leaks, drips or dampness.
• Check the float of your sump pump to ensure it’s clean and moving freely by slowly pouring water into the sump tank.
• Check that the battery of your sump pump is in good condition by running the sump pump a second time with the power off.