Road safety week kicks off today across Canada. Running from May 13 – May 19, the program is part of Canada’s Road Safety Strategy 2015; a plan to make the country’s roads the “safest in the world by 2015.”
Police will be focusing on “the big 4”:
- driving impaired by alcohol or drugs
- distracted driving
- aggressive driving
- seatbelt use- including improper use
This week serves as an important reminder of the responsibility we have to make sure we’re using our vehicles safely:
- If you plan on drinking, plan a way home.
- Deal with texts and emails before you start driving. Once on the road, if there’s an emergency situation, pull over and legally park. If it’s not an emergency, it can probably wait until you’re at your destination.
- Keep calm and drive on, aggressive driving impairs your ability to react.
- Buckle up before you start driving, it can be easy to forget as you’re leaving that parking lot of drive through.